Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Memorial

Today we are meeting at the Memorial on 27th and Carefree Highway. We'll be launching balloons in honor of our friends we lost at that intersection on 3/25/2010 and dismantling the impromptu memorial setup from the date of the tragedy to the present, by thousands of friends, loved ones, and supporters.

Some of the items will be used to make quilts for the 10 riders involved, and other items will be going into a banner to be relayed around the USA for awhile in honor of "The Fallen Four", bringing attention to the tragedy and boost awareness.

My friends asked a few days ago that I release one of the balloons in Dan's honor.

"Julie, if your there..I personally would like for you to release Dan's balloon. Just my thought."

My response was an immediate...

"Julie
AKA ( E.Z. Rider )
I will be there... I will be riding!!! And I would be absolutely honored to release Dan's balloon. TYVM Bob! ~Julie"
 
Friends I ride with totally stepped up the moment I decided to ride to the Memorial today (as they always do) and many bikes were offered. I decided to accept an XL1200C from one of my girlfriends, since I'm familiar with the bike and being as responsible as I can about getting back on the horse.
 
I don't have the words to express my heartbreak this morning. I miss them so badly. I'm excited about riding for them today. As I said, I can't get on two wheels and not be riding for them and with them. My plan is to crank the tunes (Ya Dan we'll be listening to some of your great tunes brother) and leading the run up, with Dayle riding co-pilot at my side I'm sure. I took a solo run a few days ago to document my return to the road for ya'll and will have plenty of pics from this afternoon.

~Julie
 
 

1 comment:

  1. A link to the report by 3TV Phoenix:

    http://www.azfamily.com/news/Plans-to-create-permanent-memorial-for-bikers-killed-in-crash-underway-96522894.html

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete